Shamokin Home Where Infant Died is Now Condemned |
Title (Max 100 Characters)
SHAMOKIN - The home where an 11-week-old boy died last week has been condemned because water service to the property has been cut off.
Shamokin Code Enforcement Officer Rick Bozza said 349 S. Market St., Shamokin, "has no running water. That's why it's been condemned."
Bozza said Aqua Pennsylvania disconnected the water Wednesday afternoon around the same time he and employees from Northumberland County Children and Youth Services were inspecting the home. The water reportedly was shut off because of a delinquent bill, but Donna Alston, manager of communications with Aqua Pennsylvania, said Monday she couldn't confirm that was the reason for the shutoff.
"We aren't allowed to release that information," Alston said.
Bozza said Elisha Long, her boyfriend, Will Anderson, and three children were listed as the official tenants of the home owned by Robert Santore, of 217 Third St., Ranshaw, who is a registered landlord in the city. Bozza said Long is a relative of Damon Marciniak, 18, and Turqoise Johnson, 20, whose 11-week-old son, Navaydius D. Marciniak, reportedly died in the home June 3.
Marciniak, Johnson, their son and his two brothers were staying with Long when the death occurred. Bozza said he believes Marciniak and Johnson reside in Lewisburg.
He said nobody has resided in the home since June 3. Bozza said Long, Anderson and the three children, who lived at 349 S. Market St. since November 2012, were staying with relatives in the 400 block of South Market Street, but recently made arrangements to rent a property at 1050 N. Shamokin St. owned by Robert Gilligbauer, who also is a registered landlord in the city.
Upon searching the home during their investigation of the baby's death June 3, police removed blankets and bedding that reportedly contained bed bugs. But Bozza said he did not find any bed bugs in the home during his inspection last week.
Death not suspicious
Northumberland County Coroner James F. Kelley said a June 4 autopsy conducted by Dr. Michael Johnson at Lehigh Valley Hospital on the 11-week-old boy did not reveal anything suspicious.
"There was no bruising noted on the baby that would concern us," he previously said.
He referenced a mark on the baby's head that was described as "a bruise or discoloration" in an affidavit accompanying a search warrant obtained by Shamokin police June 3.
"There was a mark on the forehead, but there was no underlying hemorrhaging" related to that mark, Kelley said.
Kelley said last week that complete results of the autopsy will take 18 weeks, three weeks longer than an adult autopsy, due to additional testing that is done on infants. Toxicology tests and those that check for bacteria and viruses, as well as spinal fluid, will be conducted. X-rays that were taken will be reviewed by a pediatric specialist at Hershey Medical Center, Kelley said.
Emergency medical services personnel and police were dispatched to 349 S. Market St. at 10:28 a.m. June 3 for a cardiac arrest call. The baby was pronounced dead at 11:15 a.m. at Geisinger-Shamokin Area Community Hospital.
Police spent hours at the house, interviewing the parents.
The parents told police they woke to find Navaydius' 15-month-old brother lying partially on top of him. The boys were sleeping on the floor with a third brother, age 2, in the same room with the parents, police said. Navaydius wasn't breathing, the parents said, and Marciniak and his aunt and uncle performed CPR while 911 was called.
Kelley said he and family members are interested to learn the results of the testing because a girl, Jahniyah Turner, from the same family died two years ago at 6 months.
Jahniyah's cause of death was listed as sudden death of an infant while co-sleeping with an adult.
Kelley said they'll compare records to see if there is any genetic correlations between the deaths of the two children.
The two children do not have the same parents, Kelley said.
Shamokin Police Chief Edward Griffiths said Monday night the investigation into the child's death is continuing.